Decoding The “Magic” of Autophagy – Part 2
Hi Longevity Insider,
Here's how the mTOR pathway can halt autophagy...
The mTOR pathway has a brake called AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK). So, when you fast or exercise, the AMPK pathway gets switched on. Thus, putting your cell growth process in a protective mode, thereby halting mTOR. Simultaneously, the same path activates autophagy as well.
A sedentary lifestyle contibutes to the exact opposite: cell buildup without allowing the body to destroy and replace zombie cells. This is why aging-related diseases are growing in number.
Autophagy clears the out those zombie cells and does so much more...
Autophagy: How Is It Beneficial For You?
Studies show that autophagy can help to:
- Control anti-inflammatory responses.
- Support the immune system.
- Improve metabolic processes.
- Remove toxic proteins.
- Recycle residual proteins.
- Repair cells, thus providing energy to the cells.
- Trigger the regeneration and formation of healthy cells.
Did you know know that you can trigger your body’s natural autophagy process? Studies show that you can fast-track autophagy by including regular exercise and a well-balanced diet in your everyday life.
Here are a few "food" tips:
- Polyphenols-rich Food: Polyphenols-rich drinks or foods act as natural antioxidants that can help the body fight against insulin resistance, fatty liver, lung cancer, and type-2 diabetes.
- Curcumin: Another powerful autophagy stimulant is curcumin. There are more than 600 published studies that confirm that it is a potent anti-inflammatory agent.
- Berberine HCl: This is an alkaloid found in the Berberis species. It is known for its antimicrobial, antiviral, antidiarrheal, and anti-inflammatory potency. Not only that, many studies confirm its role as a tumor suppressor through autophagy. In a study involving naturally aged mice, berberine helped mice live around 17% longer than their counterparts.
- Hesperidin: Here's another natural ingredient that boosts AMPK activity. Thus, helping the body reduce fat by accelerating the fat-burning process. It also helps to mitigate some of the most negative mechanisms related to aging.
- Gynostemma is yet another superfood that helps the body by the activation of the AMPK pathway. In fact, studies have shown that it helps the body against chronic conditions like aging, diabetes, obesity, and many more.
- Quercetin: This is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent that helps reduce blood sugar levels and prevents heart diseases.
- Fisetin: This ingredient induces autophagy by acting against the mTOR pathway. In fact, many studies suggest it as a dietary antioxidant that promotes overall health by acting as an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and immune-stimulating agent.
With all of this knowledge, I did my own resarch on these ingredients. And here's what I found!
To your longevity,
Anil Bajnath MD
CEO/Founder, Institute for Human Optimization
Chief Medical Officer, Longevity Insider HQ