5 Reasons to Make Meditation Part of Your Daily Routine
How will you stay happy, focused, and healthy this year?
Many are taking their health to the next level by starting a new diet or exercise routine. But don’t forget that mental health is equally important!
There’s one thing everyone should add to their routine: meditation.
Countless life coaches, athletes, CEOs, and movie stars swear by it.
Many say it has completely changed their life...
But what does meditation really have to offer, and should you try it?
Here are five reasons you should make meditation part of your daily routine in 2020.
1. Start your day in a cheerful mood. If you’re like most people, your mind is a mess in the morning. Your head is full of to-do lists, worries, unnecessary distractions, or frustration.
The first hour of your morning sets the tone for the rest of the day. And if you cannot get control of your mind, you’re liable to be in a bad mood all day long.
Meditation helps you take control of your mind and stay optimistic, cheerful, and content. Just 10 minutes could set you up for a brighter day.
2. Improve your concentration and awareness. Do you have trouble concentrating on one task, conversation, or thought? Meditation could help.
Meditation allows you to become more aware of your thoughts as they flood in. The goal is not to stop or change those thoughts, but rather to observe them as they come and go.
Just the awareness of when your mind wanders can help you gently refocus on the task at hand. This alone can change your life.
3. Reduce stress and anxiety. It’s easy to become stressed out and anxious when your thoughts take over your mind.
Meditation can have a significant effect on stress and anxiety. It can have a calming effect that lasts all day.
Though the reason isn’t clear, research suggests that meditation stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system. This helps regulate your breathing, heart rate, and blood flow.
4. Gain perspective. Meditation is like a mini-vacation for the mind. It allows you to step back and take a look at the big picture.
Maybe you’ve needed to make a change in your life but haven’t had time to notice it yet. Or perhaps you’ve slowly lost track of an important goal.
Daily meditation can help you recalibrate and get refocused on what matters most to you.
5. Boost your health and happiness. Regular meditation can improve your overall feeling of well-being. Many feel happier after just one session.
The stress-reducing effects of meditation can improve your overall health. Some research shows that it can support a healthy heart by regulating blood pressure levels.
Meditation may also boost your immune system and help fight off colds.
Try adding meditation to your morning routine and see how it affects your day. If you’re new to meditation, here are some tips for getting started:
- Schedule a specific time to meditate each day
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Find a quiet place where you won’t be bothered
- Try out a guided meditation app like Headspace or Calm
- Start with a short one- to five-minute session and gradually increase
- Don’t give up — meditation can take time and practice
To your health,
President, Longevity Insider HQ